Translate

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The freshest air in the world.

Well it was only two days, but it was a great time. I arrived in Reykjavik Wednesday morning at 8:00 am and my room was ready and waiting. I dropped off my bags and went for a walk. I followed the coast and made my way into downtown Reykjavik. A very clean and cosmopolitan city that feels a lot like Portland. I was getting hungry so I found a little bar on a side street downtown and sat down. The server took my order, a bread bowl and an Icelandic beer named Gull. The food was great and the server was really concerned with how I liked the meal. I kept seeing him look out the window at me to see if I was enjoying it.

I continued walking until I met a couple of Polish girls. They asked if I wanted to jump rope with them and some friends. I followed them a couple blocks and about ten or fifteen others and I jumped rope together for a short while. Kind of weird but why not?

I ended up walking all day. I threw away my map and got lost on purpose. I saw parts of that small city that a typical tourist would not. Everything was so well kept. It was 70 degrees and sunny all day and the city was buzzing.

The following day I woke to the sun coming through my window and I figured it was probably 9:00 am. I looked at the clock and it was only 6:00 am. Being that Iceland is so far north, the sun in early May is out for over 18 hours a day. I felt like doing something out of Reykjavik so I booked a ticket to the Golden Circle. The tour would consist of Gullfoss (a glacier melt waterfall that is the largest in Europe), the geysirs and Þingvellir National Park. It was great and pictures can be seen at this flickr location:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffkittleson/sets/72157626603640727/

I returned from the golden circle trip and had dinner with two girls from Montreal. I had met them that morning when I was waiting for the golden circle tour van. We shared a bottle of wine and I had a raw and cooked salmon meal at that apartment kitchen and it was great.

Next stop Frankfurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment