Translate

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Best of luck to the 16th Signal Regiment!!!


Last week a fellow teacher asked if I was interested in helping him set up a going away party for the British 16th Signal Regiment which is headed off to Afghanistan. I had the day off of work, so I agreed. So yesterday, it was off to the RAF Brüggen Base on the Dutch/German border.

There we would set a PA for music and some carnival type rides for the kids, etc. Once the rides were set up and the families started to arrive, I would operate some of the different rides. I spent much of the afternoon putting soldiers on there back sides' while operating the mechanical bull.


After a few hours of carnival rides outside, the soldiers and their families would come into an old airplane hangar and eat, drink and enjoy live music. All the while I would be running around helping out where I could.

The 16th Signal Regiment is roughly 600 soldiers who will shortly be leaving for Afghanistan. It was a really fun experience to share with all of them and I wish them all the best. Thanks to Ash for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment